Registration and Fees
(please enable pop-ups to see this file)
Registration for the September 2017 school year opens March 8, 2017. Early registration for returning families opens February 8, 2017. Registration forms can be dropped off in person or mailed to Green Circle Preschool Association, Room 15, Parkallen School, 6703-112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta. There will also be on-site registration at our open house March 8, 2017, from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm.
The Green Circle Preschool program is designed to be two days per week, so children should be registered either for Tuesday/Thursday or Wednesday/Friday. Children may also be registered for our Monday classes, either on its own (one day per week) or in addition to one of the two-day sessions (for a total of three days per week). Classes run from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. each day.
The cost of running the program is covered through monthly fees, plus two to three fundraisers during the year. This is instead of fundraising through casinos or “donation cheques” from each family.
If you have any questions about registration or fees, please contact the Green Circle registrar.
Fees for the 2017-2018 year:
(Updated January 27, 2015)
|Initial registration fee (nonrefundable)||$50|
|Monthly fee, 2 days per week||$120|
|Monthly fee, 3 days per week||$160|
|Monthly fee, Monday only||$60|
|Field trip/plate fee||$40|
|Fundraising bond (refundable)||$120|
All cheques are to be made payable to “Green Circle Preschool Association”.
To withdrawal from Green Circle, you must give thirty days’ written notice to the registrar. Written notice must be received before the first day of the month prior to withdrawal. Any withdrawals submitted with less notice will result in the forfeit of one month’s monthly fee.
Green Circle is a high-quality, non-profit preschool that is able to survive on a relatively low budget because every family is expected to share the work. This includes required participation in the classroom as a parent helper, cleaning shifts, and assigned tasks. Parent helpers in the classroom are necessary in order for us to maintain the staff-to-student ratios mandated by the Province of Alberta (without having to hire a teaching assistant), as well as to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our children.
- Parent helper days: For a child attending on Mondays only, parents can expect one parent helper day per month. For a registration of two or three days per week, they can expect one to two parent helper days per month. If your family has more than one child attending the program, then parent helper days will be increased accordingly. Shifts start at 8:45 a.m. and finish at 11:45 a.m. During that time, parents assist in the classroom by helping children interact safely and respectfully, assisting with crafts and games, preparing snacks, and cleaning the classroom. Parent helpers are also responsible for supplying paper towels and a healthy snack made up of two food groups. If you are unable to be present on a parent helper day, it is your responsibility to find a replacement or to switch days with another parent, and then to notify the class scheduler. The parent helper schedule for September will be sent out in the yearly welcome package. From there, monthly schedules are sent out the week before a new month begins.
- Assigned tasks: Each family will be assigned at least one task that they will be responsible for throughout the year.
- Cleaning afternoons: Every Friday, one family will spend approximately two hours cleaning the classroom during the hours that Parkallen School is open. Each family will have up to three cleaning afternoons over the course of the school year.
- Attendance at meetings: There will be an orientation meeting early in September, as well as two general meetings and one annual general meeting per year. The purpose of these meetings is to pass on information and discuss business relating to the preschool. Families are expected to send one representative to each meeting.
- Fundraising: Although most of our budget comes from students’ monthly fees, fundraising is an important activity to maintain the high quality of classroom activities and keep the cost of those monthly fees low. In response to parental requests, Green Circle is pleased to offer our fundraising bond as an option for families who do not wish to fundraise or who do not fundraise enough to meet our preschool budget. Each family provides a post-dated cheque for $120 at the beginning of the school year, which will later be cashed (if the family chooses not to fundraise) or ripped up (when the family meets or exceeds its fundraising goal).
- Snacks: Snacks are a shared experience at Green Circle. Each family will be expected to provide a healthy snack on their parent helper day. Snacks should be made up of two food groups. These snacks must be prepared in the classroom or be in store packaging, for example, an unsliced cucumber and store-bought crackers or whole washed strawberries and a package of cheese.
- Pick-up: You must be there to collect your child when class lets out at 11:30 a.m. If the teacher does not know the person picking up the child, they may be required to show ID.
- Suggestions and concerns: Please feel free to address any concerns with the executive board and with the teacher.
Completing these duties is the responsibility of each parent. However, we will happily accommodate grandparents, aunts, uncles, and friends as designates. Please inform your replacement about the details of your duties.
- Our licensing and insurance regulations DO NOT allow siblings to accompany parents on Parent Helper days or to attend field trips.
- Children must have an indoor only pair of shoes with non-slip soles with closed toes, which will remain in the classroom.
- You must advise the teacher if your child has been exposed to a communicable disease (e.g., lice, strep throat, pink eye). The registrar and the teacher are also to be informed of any allergies or other conditions your child may have. Please keep ill children at home to prevent the spread of viruses.
- Lower-income families may qualify for financial assistance to attend Green Circle Preschool. Click here for information of Alberta Child Care Subsidy.